Back to the Embassy

Well, today was spent again pursuing ways to get the new equipment here.  We took Vahan to the U.S. Embassy another time, and after a few hours he came back with word that he had done more paperwork and made sure it was placed on top of the desk of the person who needs to see it.  This evening we got a request for more information.  So all is not lost in our hopes of getting it here quickly.

Pray this rig into action with us. (Curt King at Tent Camp 2)

Finding A Way…Steadfast

We then went to the local heavy equipment company that also rents compressors, but they have nothing, and said nothing like what we need is in Haiti. Next I went on the search for my good friend Steve, who I helped teach to drill in Haiti many years ago.  I finally found his place and talked to him on the phone, but he doesn’t have a compressor.  I then met with another man that has two cable tool rigs, and he offered me the use of one. We then found some guys who are with an NGO that has a ship that brings things to Haiti for free, and talked about them shipping the rig here in a couple weeks.  We will pursue that if the government option fails.  We then had a lead on a new rig sitting in an NGO’s yard not being used, so tracked that down, but it’s a very little machine mounted on a tractor, and would not work in the difficult drilling area where the camp is that we are trying to help.  All day we passed tent camps, some small and others large.

So tonight I am trying to decide what to do.  The drill rig (cable tool) that is offered for our use is a much slower way to drill.  It works very well, but in the particular cemented gravel formation we are in, it would take a few days to complete our well.  To further complicate things, the uncompleted well is under high voltage lines.  Our little machine has a 20 foot high mast which is no problem, but the other machine has a 40 foot mast, which would make it quite dangerous.

And there is the time limitation.  It would take perhaps a week or so to drill a new well at the other end of the camp (to prevent the danger of the power lines and the cable tool mast) if we knocked down some cement walls, which would give Kevin and me just enough time to get the rig ready, move it into town from out in the country where it is, drill the well using steel casing, then move everything back to the yard in the country where it is stored, and return home to spend a few days before I am to return to Africa.   Arron, the driller who will try to come when I leave, is not a cable tool operator, so he would be unable to run it.

Then came the decision maker about using the cable tool rig in this slower time frame;  Snaider came in a little while ago and said it has been announced that there will be a work shut down this weekend, and they are going to close absolutely everything down for 3 days of fasting and prayer for Haiti.


Don’t be discouraged, we haven’t given up the battle. Snaider also came in later and told me the local radio is announcing a boy was found in the rubble yesterday–still alive, and if God can do that, surely he can make our broken compressor work one more day.  Tomorrow we plan to return to the compressor and give it one more try.

It sprinkled a little last night, and is a little cooler tonight…

Curt King
Port au Prince, Haiti
February 9, 2010